Specialty Plates and Personalized plates may be ordered online through myNCDMV.
Note: A new plate number will be issued when changing plates. The current plate number will be forfeited.
To Order a Specialty Plate
1. Click on Order a Special or Personalized Plate
2. Click Choose a plate...
3. Scroll through the list of Custom Plate Options or use the search box to choose and Click on the appropriate specialty option
4. Click Choose This Plate
5. Click the blue Select button
6. Enter your "current" License Plate Number and last 5 of your Title Number and click Search
7. Verify your insurance information and click Yes, that's right
8. Confirm or update your Residential, Mailing, and Vehicle addresses
9. Click Add to cart
10. Click Go to cart
11. Choose a Payment Method and enter a credit/debit card or link to a bank account
12. Click the blue Pay button to complete your order
- Plates will take 6 to 8 weeks to be delivered to your designated mailing address
- Plates will be mailed by the DMV
- Contact the DMV at 919-715-7000 or https://www.ncdot.gov/contact if it takes longer than 8 weeks to receive your plates