Personalized plates may be ordered online through myNCDMV. To personalize a plate, you're only editing the text on your license plate. Follow the directions below to get started:
- Some specialty plates may not be personalized. If you are not given the option to personalize the specialty plate you selected, this is an indication that it is not able to be personalized.
- If you already have a personalized plate, you cannot order a new one online. You will need to exchange that personalized plate in-person at a local NCDMV office for a standard-issued plate. You can then personalize your plate online to change the characters shown on the plate.
2. Click on Order a Special or Personalized Plate.
3. Click Choose a plate...
4.Scroll through the list of Custom Plate Options or use the search box to choose and click on the desired specialty option.
Note: To personalize a normal license plate, type in the search field and select Private Auto, Private Moped, Private Motorcycle or Private Trailer, depending on your vehicle type.
5. Click Choose This Plate.
6. Click the blue Select button.
7. Enter your "current" License Plate Number and the last 5 digits of your Title Number and click Search.
8. Verify your insurance information and click Yes, that's right.
9. Confirm or update your address information.
10. Click Personalize plate.
Note: If you are not given the option to personalize the plate, this is an indication that the plate you selected is not able to be personalized.
11. Choose your plate text and click the blue Select button.
12. Click I'm all set.
13. Enter your contact information and click Submit.
14. Click Add item to cart.
15. Click Go to cart.
16. Choose a Payment Method and enter a credit/debit card or link to a bank account.
Note: If you already have a payment method stored on your profile, it will appear here. Click on the payment method to select a different stored payment method, or to add a new one.
17. Click the blue Pay $--.-- button to complete your order.
- Plates will take 6-8 weeks to be delivered to your designated mailing address
- Plates will be mailed by the NCDMV.
- Contact the NCDMV at 919-715-7000 or with this online form if it takes longer than 8 weeks to receive your plates.