To renew a vehicle registration on myNCDMV, you must enter the license plate number and last five of the title.
If you are getting an error message that "the plate and verification number do not match," this is an indication that the title number you entered have does not match what the NC DMV has on record. See below for further information:
- I used the title number from my renewal notice, why am I seeing this error?
- Why did my title number change?
- How can I find my current title number?
- Now that I have my current title number, how can I pay online?
I used the title number from my renewal notice. Why am I seeing this error?
If you are seeing this error message when using the title number from your renewal notice, this is an indication that the NC DMV has changed the title number since mailing out the notice.
Why did my title number change?
A title number may be updated by the NCDMV for a number of reasons, including:
- Newly purchased Vehicle
- Vehicle was recently paid off
- Vehicle was refinanced
- A duplicate title was ordered
- You have recently moved
How can I find my current title number?
You can look up the current title number on the NCDMV Portal at myDMV:
1. Log in using the following:
- Driver License/ID Number
- Last Four of Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
2. Click on Vehicles toward the top of the page. Then, scroll down and select your vehicle.
3. Your vehicle information will be listed, and you can click on Title & Lien to display the full title number that is on record with the NCDMV.
Note: If you are still getting an error message after confirming the title number, please contact the NCDMV at 919.715.7000 or with this online form for more information.
Once you have the current last five of title for your vehicle, please return to myNCDMV to complete your order.